9 Aug 2011

What I'm reading?

Grit city issue two by Ron Gavalik

Blurb:
Grit City, Issue #2 is the second installment of a monthly series about a dark and calamitous world, where the nefarious rule. Dillon Galway is an idealistic freelance journalist in his mid-twenties, who barely scrapes out a living reporting on corruption for the Grit City Times and his own blog.

Dillon remembers the city as an ideal place to live, before the murder of his Father and the rise of the Lebedev Syndicate. All meaningful power in business, politics and law enforcement are now funneled into the hands of this wealthy organization.

He works tirelessly to reestablish opportunity and peace, and relies on the sexy and sultry Alyssa Stephano (gun for hire) to help when situations require her nickel plated Colt .45 revolvers.

But in the shadows of the back alleys, whispers stir in the underground of an unnamed force. Something or someone that's determined to upset the status quo. When Dillon is tipped about horrifying activities he's propelled into a perilous investigation that may lead to dire consequences.

As the series progresses Dillon will face unfathomed challenges, but also gain abilities most consider impossible.

My thoughts:
I've been dying to read this ever since Ron sent it to me a couple of weeks ago but because I've had so many review books on my proverbial plate I had to reduce the pile some before I could indulge in some of my non review books. I really enjoyed issue one and can't recommend it enough, it really has that mystery noir feeling in a modern setting... oh and did I mention my review for issue one is in issue two! It's so excited every time I open the book on my Kindle to see my name in it :D

(Since it's short I'll also add my next read as well.)
How to dump your boyfriend in the mens room and other short stories by Sibel Hodge

Blurb
Welcome to My World...

I'm an author of chick lit romances and mysteries. In my spare time I'm Wonder Woman! My world is sometimes wacky, quirky, and very accident-prone.

This is a collection of five humorous short stories - what I like to call true fiction. Some are true, some are fiction, and some are a mixture of both. I guess you have to decide which is which!

I often get asked if I'm like any of my characters in my novels, and I have to groan and say, yes. When you read these stories you'll realize how, and a lot of them have inspired scenes in my novels, although names have been omitted or changed to protect me against lawsuits!

Are you ready to find out "how to dump your boyfriend in the men's toilets", why "yoga is bad for your house", what the "S-Word has to do with your lady garden", why you need to "follow that goat", and whether "kismet" does really exist?

My thoughts
Well it'll be straight back to the review pile for me lol This is one of two books that Sibel sent me for review. I don't usually go for short stories - there never seems to be much time for an actual story - but from the reviews I've checked out this promises to be pretty funny, I'm looking forward to getting away from the fantasy genre for a couple days and reading some humour :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...