21 Oct 2011

Audio Friday #2 - The adoration of Jenna Fox review

Well it's actually 'Audio every-other Friday' but that didn't have quite the same catch.
Every fortnight - on a Friday - is Audio Friday where I post a review for an audiobook interchanging between myself and a lovely follower Wanda, so we'll be doing one each a month.
Today it's my turn :)
The adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson.
Read by Jenna Lamia.
Available now.

What's it about?
Who is Jenna Fox? Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a coma, they tell her, and she is still recovering from a terrible accident in which she was involved a year ago. But what happened before that? Jenna doesn’t remember her life. Or does she? And are the memories really hers?
Side note: I'd been considering audiobooks for a while and am glad I finally tried one, I had no trouble getting into the book and listened to it far quicker than I expected. It was great for when I couldn't be holding onto an actual book, like when I was washing-up or doing other housework, and it certainly made those chores more entertaining!
My review:
On the narrator: The voice of Jenna Lamia was an easy one to listen to, I liked that she did slightly different voices for different characters but didn't go over the top so it wasn't theatrical, she portrayed emotional moments really well and I still felt a connection to the lead character, though not in the same way I would reading the book to myself, more like she was my friend telling me a story.
On the book: And speaking of the story, I loved it, such an interesting and different idea and a glimpse into a possible future. I was intrigued following Jenna try to regain her memories along with independence and answers as to what happened and why she feels different.
It was a great journey and I really didn't know where it would go until it happened, I liked Jenna, she had to make some hard choices and I think she was very strong. She wasn't afraid to keep pushing until she found out the truth.
There were a lot of other very likeable characters like Jennas nan - Lily - Allys and of course Ethan. I liked that there was a love interest but it was only a small portion of the book, this story is all about Jenn Fox and who she is and it really leaves you questioning how far can science go and how far would you go for your child.
I had a great time uncover the secrets along with Jenna and enjoyed it just as much as I think I would had I read the book myself. I can't wait to 'listen' to the next one.
On the cover: I like this, the blues on the butterfly are really pretty and it placed on the hand made me interested to find out what it meant. That being said I do love the new paperback cover with the jigsaw pieces, I think it's much more fitting (And would look very pretty on my shelf!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...