2 Jan 2014

Pawn - Review


The Blackcoat rebellion book one.
Available January 2014
www.miraink.co.uk 

What's it about?

Are you more than the number on the back of your neck?
For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country.
If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister’s niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter.
There’s only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered. The same one that got her killed…and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that’s not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she’s only beginning to understand.
My review
Pawn was an exciting dystopia novel full of intrigue and twists, I really enjoyed it. Although I've read many dystopias that focus on a 'class' system society, I always enjoy reading new imaginings of what a futuristic world would be like to different authors and I liked what Aimée Carter did with Pawn. Not only is everyone ranked when they become of age but they are forced to have it tattooed onto the back of their neck to forever remind them of their place in society, a sign of the kind of power the government hold.
The story moved along nicely and many twists, some I saw coming and others that I never. I'm equally intrigued by both Benji and Knox, I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop in further books, as I will most definitely be reading them.
Kitty's character was also relatable, she's kind and caring, however she does want the best for herself to, if she can get it, I liked her.
If, like me, you have a big pile of dystopias to read, then put this one nearer to the top because you won't be disappointed.

Find the author
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...