3 Jun 2013

Monument 14 - Review


Monument 14 book one
Available now
www.hodder.co.uk 

What's it about?

Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong ...
Fourteen kids stranded inside a superstore. Inside they have everything they could ever need. There's junk food and clothes, computer games and books, drugs and alcohol ... and without adult supervision they can do whatever they want.
Sounds like fun? 
But outside the world is being ripped apart by violent storms and chemicals leaking into the atmosphere that, depending on blood type, leave victims paranoid, violent or dead. 
The kids must remain inside, forced to create their own community, unsure if they'll ever be able to leave. Can they stop the world they've created inside from self-destructing too?
My review
Monument 14 was an interesting and thrilling book which I thoroughly enjoyed. I really like the idea of the kids being locked in a Greenway (a giant supermarket kind of place) they have everything they need to survive so the gang doesn't spend half the book looking for food and water, as is the case in a lot of post apocalyptic type books, instead it was all about how they would survive together, how different personalities might clash and how they respond to emergencies and deciding if they should leave. I really liked these aspects of the book and thought the author did a great job.
It's written really well and I found it to be very realistic. For a change the protagonist, a young boy called Dean, isn't perfect or even particularly heroic or completely likeable, and these were things I actually liked about the book. Dean is telling the story and he's honest about everything even the bad things he does, like lying. Even though it doesn't always make him a great guy, it made the character more believable and relateable and it was another thing that gave this book an edge against so many books like it.
The story itself was exciting and kept a good pace considering the whole book is set in one place, there are lots of characters and little stories to follow but not too many so I didn't get mixed up. I am really looking forward to book two and seeing what happens to everyone next.

Find the author
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh I really want to read this one! I'm so glad you enjoyed it :D Dean sounds like a really interesting character. I'll have to try and get my hands on it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...