12 Oct 2012

Lucid - Review


Brightest kind of darkness book two.
Available now. 

What's it about?

Once Nara combines her prophetic ability with Ethan’s power to outsmart Fate at his own deadly cat-and-mouse game, she’s more determined than ever to help Ethan learn the meaning behind the raven sword tattoo that suddenly appeared on his back after their confrontation with Fate.
During her quest to uncover the tattoo’s secrets, Nara enlists the help of some new friends and discovers her own surprising connection to Ethan.
While Nara digs deeper into the mystery, her desire for answers leads her down a dangerous path full of powerful and ruthless enemies. Swept into an age-old battle, Nara quickly learns that keeping one’s enemies close can be a necessary evil, making an intangible enemy she can control far more preferable to the human enemies she can’t.
Previous books in the series
(links to my review)
Brightest kind of darkness - Book one.
My review
I really enjoyed book one, Brightest kind of darkness, so as you can imagine I've been excited to get my hands on Lucid, but unfortunately I just didn't enjoy it as much as book one, more because of the characters than the story.
Lets start with Nara, after the things she went through in book one she was just way to naive in this, putting things down to coincidence when they obviously were something more and never spotting signs of danger, surely after the battle she encountered in Brightest kind of darkness she'd be on her guard a lot more.
Next was new character Drystan, now as a person I didn't mind him, he was nice, caring and protective, however the thing that got to me is that he was from Wales BUT his accent was written that seemed more like he talked like a Londoner with some Irish phrases also thrown in. It just felt like the author wanted a character from another country, perhaps to give him an exotic twist but didn't actually research the place she'd picked. I'm also supposed to be impressed that he knows Parkour moves but I don't know what that is as its not really explained what Parkour is in the book? When the characters are introduced to it themselves they're told its easier to be shown than have it explained and so they watch a video which left the reader out from finding out what it is.
There was another new character, Harper, whom I thought could've used some more development, she wasn't really in the book much, I think she got lost amongst all the drama.
Then there's Ethan, he was hardly in the book and I missed him a lot but when he finally did reappear he was mysterious and dark and not the indie boy I fell in love with reading book one.
So all in all I'd say character wise Lucid was a let down for me, I just didn't connect with them.
The pacing of the book was good though, the storyline was full of mystery and there was always something going on, these are the things that kept me intrigued when I couldn't get along with the characters and had me finishing the book.
I was a bit confused by the end about what's going on and what everything means, but I guess that's the point really lol I have tons of questions and curiosities that are probably enough to have me picking up book three.

My thoughts on the cover
This cover is gorgeous and fits in well with the cover of book one, it also ties in with a scene from the book so it gets full marks from me :)

Favourite quotes
'"Cross my heart-" I started to whisper, but Ethan cut me off, pressing his lips to mine with a fierceness that sent fire shooting through my veins. I tugged him even closer, loving that his heady kiss sealed our promise better than words ever could.'


'Wrapping my arms around his shoulders, I kissed him back with all the longing and worry and fear I'd felt during his absence. God, I missed him... missed our connection so very much.'

Find the author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...