27 May 2013

The 5th wave - Review


The 5th wave book one.
Available now.
www.penguin.co.uk 

What's it about?

After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one. Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave. On a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, until Cassie meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan may be her only hope for rescuing her brother and even saving herself. Now she must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up. Cassie Sullivan gets up.
My review
The 5th wave, simply put, was a brilliant book. It steadily grows in pace throughout the book and keeps you on the edge of your seat. I really enjoyed reading about the new scary world Rick Yancey has created and the fact that you don't really see the aliens makes them all the more creepy.
The storyline was fantastic, from the blurb I thought we'd only be following the book from Cassie's point of view but there's actually a few in there and more than one story is told, although they all do come to the end to weave a seamless plot and bring our characters together in ways I couldn't have guessed.
Cassie is a very strong willed and determined lady, I liked her a lot, she faces difficult situations with bravery even though she knows she may not come out alive.
I also liked all of the other characters especially small time character Ringer, a total kick ass chick that I hope we see more of in bok two as I think she must have quite the back story.
The book itself was wonderfully written and I found it easy to get into the characters heads, even little Sam, who's only five, Yancey had a great way of getting to their emotions and laying everything on the table through both dialogue and inner monologues. I always knew where I stood with the characters and felt close to them by the end.
I really cannot wait for book two in this series, if its half as good as this, then it will still be brilliant but I predict something much more explosive and I'm interested to see what happens with the aliens after some of the things I've now learnt about them and their history and the actions of one that show maybe they aren't all evil.

My thoughts on the cover
This is a great, creepy cover. I love the use of muted colours and the way the girl seem sto be surrounded, even if it is only by the forest, who knows what's lurking in there!

Favourite quotes
'There's no way to know for sure, but I bet the Others knew about the human aliens we'd imagined. And I bet they thought it was funny as hell. They must have laughed their asses off. If they have a sense of humour... r asses.'

'Before the alien armageddon happened, I was known for my smile. Not bragging too much, but I had to be careful never never to smile while I drove: It had the capacity to blind oncoming traffic. But it has absolutely no effect on Ringer. She doesn't squint in its overwhelming luminescence. She doesn't even blink.'

Find the author
Website
Blog
Facebook
The 5th wave FB page
Twitter
The 5th wave Tumblr
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I've read tons of mixed reviews on this one so i'm a bit hesitant about reading my copy. I like the aliens aspect of it though.

    - Ellie at The Selkie Reads Stories

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...