5 Aug 2012

Debutantes - Guest review


Available now.
www.panmacmillan.com 

What's it about?

It’s 1923 and London is a whirl of jazz, dancing and parties. Violet, Daisy, Poppy and Rose Derrington are desperate to be part of it, but stuck in an enormous crumbling house in the country, with no money and no fashionable dresses, the excitement seems a lifetime away.
Luckily the girls each have a plan for escaping their humdrum country life: Rose wants to be a novelist, Poppy a jazz musician and Daisy a famous film director. Violet, however, has only one ambition: to become the perfect Debutante, so that she can go to London and catch the eye of Prince George, the most eligible bachelor in the country.
But a house as big and old as Beech Grove Manor hides many secrets, and Daisy is about to uncover one so huge it could ruin all their plans—ruin everything—forever.
Guest review from Kayleigh @ K-books

Well, I don’t really know where to start with this review. Debutantes is a historical novel set in the 1920s. I have never read a historical novel before and this one sounded really good to me so thought I would give this one a try. The storyline was interesting but I have realised Historical novels are really just not my kind of thing.
I found the storyline a little slow to get into at first. I was a little bored in the first 100 pages and wasn't really enjoying it much but I persevered and kept going. It did pick up and the storyline was very interesting and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen with these characters. However the more I read the more I didn't like some of the characters.
Violet, the older sister was very unlikeable to me. The more I read the more I disliked her. I hated how she treated her sisters. Everything her sisters did, especially Daisy, was to help her and she was just unnecessarily rude to her and really mean. I really hated this and I really did not like her character.
Debutantes took me a while to read as historical is not my typical genre of book that I read and I found that my interest kept slipping a little and I had to take a break in order for my attention to stay on the story.
Overall I think this book is okay, it’s a good storyline with mostly good characters and I did enjoy reading it but historical is just not a genre that I really love so I doubt I would be reading another historical novel in a hurry.
If you are a fan of historical novels then this is definitely the book for you, but personally I am just not a fan.

Find the author

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel about this one, I liked it then I didn't like it & I hated Violet lol. The ending was seriously abrupt too, but I loved little Daisy, she was so sweet. Good on you, kayleigh, for giving it a go & getting it finished, thanks for an honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hopefully going to like this one. i love YA historical and the 20s. Fab honest review. Shame it wasn't for you.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...