6 Feb 2014

Scarlet - Review


The Lunar chronicles book two
Available now
www.penguin.co.uk 

What's it about?
This is not the fairytale you remember.
But it’s one you won’t forget.
Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. The police have closed her case. The only person Scarlet can turn to is Wolf, a street fighter she does not trust, but they are drawn to each other.
Meanwhile, in New Beijing, Cinder will become the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive – when she breaks out of prison to stay one step ahead of vicious Queen Levana.
As Scarlet and Wolf expose one mystery, they encounter Cinder and a new one unravels. Together they must challenge the evil queen, who will stop at nothing to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner . . .
My review 
Scarlet is another exciting adventure in The lunar chronicles. It's the second book in this four part series of futuristic retelling's and this time its Little red riding hood that gets taken into the future and really becomes a life of its own. Though there are themes of the original story that's being retold, it also has its own style and a story of its own, much like the first book Cinder.
I really enjoyed the book and how the main plot is evolving along with the new characters and Meyer's twist on 'The big bad wolf,' I think he may have been my favourite character. Not that I didn't like Scarlet and her red hoody.
Amongst many many retelling's of these popular stories, I really love what Marissa Meyer has done with them so far, I've already said she's made the stories her own but it's worth retelling (get it?!) because they are wonderful books and certainly for fans of so many genres, sci-fi, fairy tales, its all there.
I enjoyed the third person writing style and didn't get lost flitting between so many characters as they all have their own distinct voice and I found 'Captain' Thorne's humour to be a welcome relief during tense times in the story.
There was plenty of action, drama and a lovely dash of romance and a particularly hot scene towards the end that I won't spoil for you! So if you liked Cinder, pick up Scarlet now!

Find the author
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...