28 Jul 2012

Bloodrose - Review


Available now.
www.atombooks.net 

What's it about?

Is true love worth the ultimate sacrifice?
Calla has always welcomed war. But now that the final battle is upon her, there’s more at stake than fighting. There’s saving Ren, even if it incurs Shay’s wrath. There’s keeping Ansel safe, even if he’s been branded a traitor. There’s proving herself as the pack’s alpha, facing unnamable horrors, and ridding the world of the Keepers’ magic once and for all. And then there’s deciding what to do when the war ends. If Calla makes it out alive, that is.

Previous books in the series (Links to my reviews)
Nightshade
Wolfsbane
My review
I really enjoyed the first two books in this series and had eagerly been awaiting the third and final instalment, I was really excited when I received a copy for review, so I really have no idea or excuse why I waited for so long to read it. Maybe I just didn't want the series to end and say goodbye to the characters, either way I really wish I hadn't! In book one we meet a lot of characters, in book two we meet a lot more characters so by book three, after having left it for so long, I struggled for a while to remember who was who, which made difficult reading for me as I was trying to get into the book and figure out who everyone was at the same time, but that's my really my own fault.
I did enjoy Bloodrose, though not as much as the previous books, honestly some of the time Callas indecision annoyed me - *Previous books spoiler warning* - I thought in Wolfsbane her choice was pretty much set, but then we go back to a lot of pointless indecision between Ren and Shay again in this book when, personally, I thought her choice had already been made and was obvious.
I also have to say I wasn't thrilled with the ending, in fact one thing that happened just felt like a cheap way to not have to deal with what would happen next, the rest made sense though I had mixed feelings about it, I was happy and sad for the characters at the same time, if that even makes sense! As you can see, I'm trying to not say too much so I don't give it away and you can make your own mind up.
Generally speaking I did like the book and it hasn't put me off the spin-off series or anything else the author writes in the future, I just think this particular series may have had a stronger start than it did finish.

My thoughts on the cover
Red is always a striking colour and I really like it for this cover, it of course matches the others which is always good and I like it's simplicity, its a nice cover :)

Favourite quotes
'"Do you think being the Scion matters to me if I lose you? Because it doesn't. None of this matters. You're the reason I need to win this war. I'm fighting for you. Not for the searchers. Not for anyone else. It's all for you."'

'"I know what you wanted, Shay," I said, lifting his fingers to my mouth and gently kissing them. "And that's why I love you."'

Find the author
Website
Blog
Tumblr
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Well done on such a spoiler free review whilst still getting your feelings across. I feel the same sadly. I love the quotes at the end :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...