9 Jul 2012

The selection - Review


The selection book one.
Available now.
www.harpercollins.co.uk 

What's it about?

Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…
It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon's love.
Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.
Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret — one which could throw the whole competition… and change her life forever.
My review
I'd heard from a lot of people that this book was good so I was excited to see for myself and really enjoyed it.
It was a really great modern fairy tale that was short and sweet, it had the potential to be dragged out if the author had wanted to but I'm glad she never as I've read a few of those lately and was glad to have something more to the point. I also enjoyed the little injections of what's happened in the past to explain how America has become how it has so I could get a great grasp on the world the book is set in.
This was a quick read for me, but don't let that deceive you, lots happened throughout the book to keep me entertained and it was really interesting to see how America's feelings developed without her even noticing, I chuckled to myself when she was getting jealous and she didn't even realise she was jealous lol.
It was such a fun book and a great idea that was well executed by the author, it was written really well and I'm excited to read the next book - The Elite - where hopefully America will make her decision, I'm really on the fence on the moment and not sure what 'team' I'm rooting for as I did really like both guys and think either would be good for her.
America herself was a lovely character, she does what's right for the people she loves even if it's not always what she wants, she's also caring and a bit defiant which I really liked.
The selection was a superb start to the series and I can't wait for more!

My thoughts on the cover
You probably already know what I'm going to say here: Pretty dress = win! - I am a sucker for a pretty dress cover and that dress is gorgeous, I also like how there's lots of other girls and the flash of pink in the background and how the title is wearing a tiara.

Favourite quotes
'That was all it took. His lips were on mine, and I couldn't think about anything anymore. There was no Selection, no miserable family, no Illéa itself. There was only Aspen's hands on my back pulling me closer, Aspen's breath on my cheeks.'

'With his hand holding my face toward his, Maxon lowered his lips to mine and gave me the faintest whisper of a kiss.'

Find the author
Website
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

4 comments:

  1. I loved this book =D And I have to say I'm Team Maxon <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Mist :) I was supposed to get this for review too but it got lost in the post :( I am so glad you loved this one, it sounds like the perfect read for me! Love the quotes you pulled out & I have some serious book cover love going on over here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved this book. It is currently my favorite read of the year! I'm glad to hear that your really liked this as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really enjoyed this book and I also have to say Team Maxon all the way. Looking forward to book 2. It was a great light, not extremely heavy yet still interesting plot. I love to get deep into a book but I also love to have a lighter fluffier book too. I would probably classify this as "fluffy dystopianesque book"

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...