12 Jan 2011

My soul to take review

My Soul to take by Rachel Vincent:

What's it about?
Being a teenager just got much more complicated. There is something very wrong with Kaylee Cavanaugh: she senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally. Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about the need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next.

My review:
4/5
Rachel Vincents easy-to-read writing style had me knowing I'd like this book within a few pages, and I wasn't disappointed.
I read a lot of fantasy books, YA and Adult, so I've read a lot of Vampires and Werewolves and such but this is the first time I've come across a book about a teenage Banshee or Bean Sidhe, this and the lack of a 'forbidden love' made for a refreshing change. Don't worry, there is a love interest for our young heroine but it's more straight forward than some other stories.
I found I liked all of the characters although none more than others, Kaylee is a nice young girl, sometimes funny, who takes the news of what she is very well and Nash is certainly great boyfriend material!
Although some of the plot was more obvious than other parts I was still guessing til the very end.
Needless to say I'm looking forward to the second book in the series My soul to save.

To see more of Rachel Vincent visit her website: http://rachelvincent.com/
Buy the book here (UK)

6 comments:

  1. What do you believe is the draw or craze for the undead within the culture of YA? Think about it for a moment, zombies, werewolves, vampires, and now banshees are all attractive to YA more so than any other demographic.

    Can you give us your take regarding this phenomenon?

    Eric S. Highland
    Literary Agent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, that's a big question lol
    I just think a lot of people, at the end of a hard day, love to get lost in another world, to escape their own perhaps. I love to imagine all the monsters, be they sexy vampires or evil demons, and who wants to read about things they see everyday when you can be immersed in a world of beautiful faries and magic.
    And I persoanlly find it very interesting when authors come up with their own takes on these creatures, not that theirs anything wrong with the classics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok to be honest when I first read on amazon about the story it didn't get my attention; but now that I know that you've rated 4/5 i'll put it on my tbr pile; it was a great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Soul Screamer series by Rachel Vincent. I'm glad that you enjoy it Misty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Judy, definitely get your hands on it lol

    And thanks Brianna, I'm looking forward to the rest of them and glad the wait for the next release isn't to long!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review Mist,and I agree with what you've said to Eric completely!
    I've always felt that YA stories should be given more credit as a lot of them have great plots and a broader appeal than just teenagers/early twenties.
    Humanity has always been fascinated with the occult and unknown and I think this is very much true in modern times,when we tend to take the romanticism and mistery out of life by trying to give rational and scientific explanations to anything and everything. Sometimes is just nice to lose yourself and believe that there is more out there than just what our eyes can see :)
    Ninfa xxx

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...