28 Dec 2011

Masquerade - Review

Available now.

What's it about?
Before. Everything was so much better Before. I wasn’t haunted by nightmares, my place at school was secure and my face was flawless. Now, I’m a freak and everything has changed. The worst part is that I can’t remember the night I was sentenced to the shadows. The memory has been stolen from me and I just can’t shake the feeling that someone, something is out there -watching.
Just when I think I have my life handled, Sam, with his intimidating golden stare and shiver inducing voice, makes me realize that I don’t know anything. He makes me see that my scars don’t matter. That they never mattered. I can’t help but fall for him, completely unknowing that he knows exactly how I got this way. Not knowing he was involved.
Heven has no idea how closely death stalks her. She has no idea what I have done to keep her alive. I fear the day she learns my secrets, finds out what I really am. But even then I cannot stop, I vow to make things right. Finally her hunter will be hunted, Heaven and Hell, faith and sin will battle, and we will be victorious. But first, Heven must learn to be what she never imagined. I know her strength is there – I feel it. If we are to overcome all odds, she must push past her flaws - her frailties - to become much more.

Before - My review for the short story prequel.

My review
4.5/5
I enjoyed the short story prequel, Before so I was thrilled when Masquerade landed in my inbox for review and I wasn't disappointed! Masquerade picks up ten months after Before left off and straight away I feel for Heven, after being attacked she's left with horrific scars marring her face and it's stripped her of her self confidence, she hides behind her hair, wears big baggy clothes and generally tries not to be seen, I really felt how she was feeling, and how she forces herself to look at herself in the mirror every morning before leaving for school, oh I just wanted to cry for this poor girl. But as the story continues and she starts to regain the person she was and falls in love I was genuinely pleased for her. She was a really nice character to read, though most of the book is told from Hevens pov there are parts that are told from Sams which I think helped give a great insight into him.
I really enjoyed the story, I felt it was original and the twist was not what I was expecting, in a good way! There is a good use of some mythology and some great ideas I haven't seen anywhere else, the only complaint I'd say I have is that the end seemed to drag a little, there were things that are obviously the set up for book two but I think perhaps some may have been more suited to be in the start of book two rather than introducing something new and the ending the book, but yeah, that's just my opinion, it didn't take away my enjoyment of this very well penned novel and I'm excited for book two!

My thoughts on the cover
I want to love this cover, I really should with the cold lips, the big eyelashes and the eyes themselves but the models expression is what puts me off, it's to hard and doesn't look like the frail, self concious girl I imagine at the start of the book. I do love the font though and the little bubbles around it.

Favourite quotes

'My good side was still the only side of me showing, and for a brief moment I stared at us both and pretended that I was beautiful enough to fit with him.' Heven

'If I could make her love me. Maybe then my secrets wouldn't matter as much. Maybe then she would understand.' - Sam

Find the author:
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I wasn't expected any of the twists either it was fun! Glad you enjoyed it!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the thoughtful review! I enjoyed hearing your thoughts on Masquerade! Again thank you for your time and wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review on this book! I love reading your thoughts on the books you have been reading! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...