3 Dec 2011

You are my only - Review

Available now.

What's it about?
Emmy Rane is married at nineteen, a mother by twenty. Trapped in a life with a husband she no longer loves, Baby is her only joy. Then one sunny day in September, Emmy takes a few fateful steps away from her baby and returns to find her missing. All that is left behind is a yellow sock.

Fourteen years later, Sophie, a homeschooled, reclusive teenage girl is forced to move frequently and abruptly from place to place, perpetually running from what her mother calls the "No Good." One afternoon, Sophie breaks the rules, ventures out, and meets Joey and his two aunts. It is this loving family that gives Sophie the courage to look into her past. What she discovers changes her world forever. . . .

My review:
4/5
This book is short and simple and emotional and I liked it, whilst it might not make my keep pile I would recommend it. I enjoyed the stories of Emmy and Sophie and how they came together, normally changing viewpoint from chapter to chapter doesn't bother me but the chapters were so short we were switching characters often and I'll be honest I found it a bit dizzying sometimes, I'd have preferred the chapters to be longer and perhaps for some more parts to be more in depth and I found the ending to be quite abrupt. I did enjoy the characters though, Emmy and the breakdown she has when baby is stolen felt realistic and being a mother myself was even hard to read. Seeing how Sophie is made to grow up was also really sad and I was hoping for a happy ending. There are a lot of emotions in this book, some I felt more than others, it was a nice quick read that I think makes you see just how quickly and easily something like that can happen and why someone might do it.
It's also written a lot different to other books I've read which took a little getting into but once I did I really enjoyed it, it's something that makes it different to other books.
 
My thoughts on the cover
I do like this cover, the rain and the hair cover the girls face so your not really sure if it's Emmy or Sophie and I love how the title is written in the water, it's a nice cover :)
 
Favourite quotes
'There wasn't white in her hair. There wasn't night beneath her eyes. She'd unrolled the paper across the width of the floor, and all afternoon we painted dreams.'

There is not one single thing that smells like baby, that cheeks against your cheek like the cheek of a baby. I kissed her.  I promised, "I am coming right back Baby."

Check out Beth Kepharts:

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I usually love dual narratives but if it'S too short it does seem all over the place. I still plan to give this one a try.

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...