24 May 2012

Scarlet - Review


Available 7th June 2012
www.bloomsbury.com

What's it about?

Many readers know the tale of Robin Hood, but they will be swept away by this new version full of action, secrets, and romance. Posing as one of Robin Hood’s thieves to avoid the wrath of the evil Thief Taker Lord Gisbourne, Scarlet has kept her identity secret from all of Nottinghamshire.
Only the Hood and his band know the truth: the agile thief posing as a whip of a boy is actually a fearless young woman with a secret past. Helping the people of Nottingham outwit the corrupt Sheriff of Nottingham could cost Scarlet her life as Gisbourne closes in.
It’s only her fierce loyalty to Robin—whose quick smiles and sharp temper have the rare power to unsettle her—that keeps Scarlet going and makes this fight worth dying for.
My review
 Though I don't know as much about the story of Robin Hood as I'd like I am really interested in it so when I heard of this retelling I knew I had to get my hands on it!
This was a great retelling and I really loved it, I loved the twist of Will Scarlet being a girl in hiding and the secrets that came out were great. I also really enjoyed the way it was written - how they talked then - It made me feel really immersed in the world and story and I found I couldn't stop talking like it after lol
Scarlet was a great character, she's small and tough and can hold her own amongst the lads but she's hiding from her past and seemed angry a lot of the time, but I enjoyed reading her.
The camaraderie between the band was great and the sexual tension between Scarlet with both Robin and John Little was gripping, it's safe to say I was hooked and couldn't wait to see who she'd end up with.
The story itself was also interesting and fitted in well with the time that it's set in, I got a genuine sense of what it was like then and how people lived.
I'd definitely recommend Scarlet and will be looking out for more by the author.

My thoughts on the cover
I really like this cover, you can see she's dressed as a boy but the wisp of hair shows she's a girl, you can also just see her scar on her cheek which is prominent to the storyline and I'm glad they including the knife since she's so good with them! I also like how she's hidden in dark and leaves to show the secrets she has. It's a great cover!

Favourite quotes
'He caught my wrist before I were full out the door. "Scar," he said, rough, like rocks were running over his tongue. "I have done so many unforgivable things in my life. Don't let failing to save you be another."

'His fingers loosed mine, and before I could cry their loss, his trembly hand slid over my cheek. "I'll keep your heart, Scar," He whispered. "If you keep mine."


Find the author
Website/Blog
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Goodreads

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, now I want to read it even more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to squeeze this in soon. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...