1 May 2012

Fever - Review


The chemical garden trilogy book two.
Available now.
www.harpercollins.co.uk

What's it about? Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion. But danger is never far behind. Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago―surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous―and in a world where young woman only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion… by any means necessary. In this sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price―now that she has more to lose than ever.
My review
I really enjoyed book one, Wither, so I was glad I had book two on hand to start right away and am happy to say I also enjoyed Fever just as much. I really liked the darker tone of the book as Rhine and Gabriel travel back to New York, and some of the things that happen to them had me wanting to peek through my fingers to read the book.
The author really did write a wonderfully imaginative book with some vivid descriptions and interesting personalities.
We do meet some new characters throughout, although none permanent I think (I hope) some will reappear in book three, Sever. My favourite of them all was young girl Maddie, she reminded me so much of my daughter who's also disabled and doesn't talk (though she makes plenty of noise!) much it made it impossible for me not to feel for her, especially during a certain scene that almost had me crying for her.
One complaint I do have is that there wasn't much development of the relationship between Rhine and Gabriel, sure they're there for each other but I didn't feel any chemistry and didn't think he added a lot to the story.
I enjoyed all of the shocking twists and the bits that had me squirming in my seat and I'm anxious for the last one to find out the conclusion.

My thoughts on the cover
First off, I like the green :p lol This is a really nice cover, I love the little rocking horse and of course the dress! I like that it fits in well with the cover of the first book.

I'm sorry, I got so excited reading the book I forgot to note down some favourite quotes!

Find the author Website : Blog : Facebook : Twitter : Tumblr : Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...