29 May 2012

Try it Tuesday (11)

'Try it Tuesday' is a weekly meme hosted here at Bookaholics where each week me and Ninfa take turns to recommend a book we think you should try and why.

This week’s pick is
Confessions of an ugly stepsister by Gregory Maguire
We have all heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave among the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty ... and what curses accompanied Cinderella's looks?

Set against the backdrop of seventeenth-century Holland, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who finds herself swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris's path quickly becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister. While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household -- and the treacherous truth of her former life.


Why I’m choosing this book
Fairy Tales re-tellings are quite popular at the moment. This is a version of the Cinderella story, but from the point of view of one of her stepsisters and it's beautifully told and very melancholic. I really enjoyed it.

Five reasons I love this book
1. Iris is a wonderful character, sweet, deep and with a lovely story to tell.
2. The story is set in Seventeenth Century Holland, and it has some very interesting historical references.
3. Clara (Cinderella) is not the usual innocent, darling girl, she has a different depth and it was a nice change to see her in this more adult form.
4. A very good historical take on the fairy tale, with characters you will either love or hate.
5. It's nice to see the story from a different point of view, you really feel for Clara's acquired family and although the story has moslty sad undertones, in the end it is actually a very uplifting tale.

Who I think will love this book
Historical Fiction lovers should enjoy this lovely book, but also readers that like a touch of dark, almost Gothic feel to their stories.

I hope this inspires you to pick up the book, and if you do
Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post!! I'll definitely have to check this one out. I love the story of Cinderella and I'm looking forward to seeing it from a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cover is awesome. I love the fairy tale re tellings and Id love to read this. Ill add it to my wish list :)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...