26 Aug 2011

The Goddess test Review

The Goddess test by Aimee Carter
Available now
What's it about?
It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.
Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess.

My review:
5/5
A lot of you will know that I'm bit nuts for Greek mythology so I've been wanting to read this one for some time and I'm so happy I finally got to it because I really enjoyed it.
I really liked Aimee Carters own twist on the story of Hades and Persephone and the fact that she made Hades, or Henry, into a vulnerable, caring guy and totally swoon worthy! When he's always been the bad guy from mythology to modern day stories, it was fun to see him in a new light.
The relationship between him and Kate grew slowly and was really endearing and believable.
Since everyone was renamed in this, like Hades was Henry, I had a fun time guessing who was who from the subtle clues in the book and the references to the original legend were interesting.
I found the book really easy to read and hard to put down because it flowed so well, the characters are likeable, even self involved Ava, and it's all woven together really well so I couldn't guess when Kate was being tested anymore than she could.
I know there is a second book coming out but this would've been fine as a stand alone and could be read as one if you preferred, but there is a hint, I think, at what's going to happen next and I'm interested in finding out more.

My thoughts on the cover:
This is the US cover that I have, though the soon to be released UK cover is pretty simlair. I really like the simplicity of this cover and the plain white dress and sandals, I can easily imagine this girl to be Kate. I also really like the square pattern around the edges

Favourite quotes:

The nearest neighbours were a mile down the road, the whole place smelled like nature, and no one delivered pizza in the small town of Eden.

She might've been smiling, but with the way she was leaning against him clutching his arm, she might as well have peed on him. He was clearly marked territory.

2 comments:

  1. sounds to be a really interesting book to read i put it in "to read " section
    thx for this review xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED THIS BOOK! Great Review! I reviewed The Goddess Test at the beginning of the month. If you want to check it out myhiddenbookshelf.blogspot.com
    I really can't wait for the next edition The Goddess Interupted available in March.
    I got to meet Aimee earlier this month (she lives 20 min. away from me) and she was so awesome and she gave me super secret spoilers. If she's ever around you for a signing I would recommend going!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...