17 Aug 2011

Tankborn review

Releases 15th September 2011

What's it about?
Best friends Kayla and Mishalla know they will be separated when the time comes for their Assignments. They are GENs, Genetically Engineered Non-humans, and in their strict caste system, GENs are at the bottom rung of society. High-status trueborns and working-class lowborns, born naturally of a mother, are free to choose their own lives. But GENs are gestated in a tank, sequestered in slums, and sent to work as slaves as soon as they reach age fifteen.

When Kayla is Assigned to care for Zul Manel, the patriarch of a trueborn family, she finds a host of secrets and surprises—not least of which is her unexpected friendship with Zul's great-grandson. Meanwhile, the children that Mishalla is Assigned to care for are being stolen in the middle of the night. With the help of an intriguing lowborn boy, Mishalla begins to suspect that something horrible is happening to them.

After weeks of toiling in their Assignments, mystifying circumstances enable Kayla and Mishalla to reunite. Together they hatch a plan with their new friends to save the children who are disappearing. Yet can GENs really trust humans? Both girls must put their lives and hearts at risk to crack open a sinister conspiracy, one that may reveal secrets no one is ready to face.


My review:
3/5
I found this book really interesting, the story was woven together really well and the world building was really great but I also found it a bit dull to be honest, whilst I enjoyed trying to figure out the conspiracies with the characters, there wasn't really any action in the book, but that's just my preference, not everyone likes lots of fights and explosions lol
I did find myself quite confused for a good chunk of the start, the book is set in a futuristic society on another planet and dives right in with no explanation for all the technical terms and the class system that's in place there, so it takes a little while to figure out and get into the book.
Never one to give up easy though I carried on reading and whilst I didn't love the book I did enjoy it enough to want to find out more. I enjoyed the characters, Kayla is strong-willed and is clever enough to think for herself and is questioning her existence right from the start. Devak goes on more of a journey as he opens up his eyes to the part of his world he's been blind to, it was really interesting to see him feeling remorseful and trying to fix things.
Overall an enjoyable, if slow paced, book. I'll definitely try out the next one assuming there is one.

My thoughts on the cover:
I think the cover is gorgeous, all those blues and greens mix together really well and the babies in bubbles is really interesting, I've certainly never seen anything like that before. The girl looks how I picture Kayla to be.

Favourite quotes:
He reached toward her slowly, until she could feel the warmth drifting down from his palm.
And then he lowered his hand on hers.

"We're not Droms that need care, we're not children. I'm not an 'it' that needs a trueborn to tell me when I'm happy. I might be less than you, but I'm tired of being told how I should feel." - Kayla




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...