12 Mar 2012

The 13th horseman - Review


The 13th horseman by Barry Hutchison
Available now
http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/

What's it about?
In a darkly funny, action-packed adventure, fourteen year old Drake is surprised to discover the Horsemen of the Apocalypse hanging out in his garden shed. He’s even more surprised when they ask him to join them. The team is missing a Horseman, having gone through several Deaths, and they think Drake is the boy for the job.

My review
When reading this book I had to keep reminding myself that it is aimed at a much younger audience than myself, so whilst I didn't find it funny at all, I think young boys probably would and I think they'd relate to the character of Drake a lot.
I did like the story and how the horsemen were all the personification of their role, I think this book gave a new side to The horsemen of the Apocalypse myth in general and had an action packed ending with lots of fun twists.
The writing was really great and full of rich descriptions to fuel the imagination. To be honest I couldn't really find any faults with the book, I just didn't love it, I guess it wasn't for me.
I would recommend it for getting young boys into reading though, I know I'll be saving it for my son, it has fun characters, a great story and it's easy reading. I wouldn't be put off reading more by the authhor in the future if he released something aimed at an older audience.

My thoughts on the cover
This is a great cover, I love the drawing which is really detailed and it makes me want to know what it's all about, and the big silver font is cool to.

Sorry, no favourite quotes as I read an ARC copy which cannot be quoted from.

Find the author
Website/Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...