6 Mar 2012

The look - Review

The look by Sophia Bennett
Available 1st March 2012
http://www.doublecluck.com/

What's it about?
Ted is fifteen, and...oh yes...tall. When she's spotted by a model agency, she can't believe it.
At the same time, Ted's fashionista sister, Ava, is diagnosed with cancer. With her world turned upside down, Ted has a lot of growing up to do, some of it in five-inch platforms. Should she be the model sister for Ava? Life in front of the camera is harder than it looks. And will they still be smiling when it’s over?

My review
As well as being a fun, witty book, The Look is thought provoking and even educational - er in a good way though!
Ted is a completely endearing character, I loved her young naivete about the world, especially about the modelling world lol And it was great to see her grow up, to learn not just about the world she's thrust into when she's 'spotted' but also about who she is. She actually felt like a little sister to me, I was terrified for her when I thought maybe it could all go wrong for her and I was so proud of her for her actions at the end and a particular salon scene in the middle of the book that almost had me in tears.
She handles her Sisters illness really well considering to start she knows nothing about Lymphoma, neither did I, but I know more after reading the book.
I also liked her Sister Ava who tries to stay upbeat during her illness although you can see she has her difficult moments when I just wanted to cry for her.
I was also glad to see the author had obviously done a lot of research in the modelling world, all I know is what I've seen on America's next top model lol and the book had a really great insight into at least one side of this fast paced world, and I could really imagine the photo shoots from the great descriptions.
I really enjoyed reading The Look and laughed out loud so many times at Ted's inner monologue as she strives to understand the things going on around her.

My thoughts on the cover
This is a great cover, it seems like it's plain, it's just a girls face. But I think it suits the book perfectly and I love the colour tones and the font for the book title, also the page edges are pink! So cool!

Favourite quotes
'They say they're 'legit', but they're talking about signing me up. Did they not notice my legs? Or the monobrow? Or the hair? Or the fact that I'm still at school? Or that I don't know who Mario Testino is? Or that I'm sitting next to a goddess and they haven't shown the slightest interest in her? These people clearly have NO IDEA WHAT THEY'RE DOING.'

'He's leaning in towards me. He's looking at my lips. They've probably got hot chocolate foam on them or something, but I can't seem to move any of my muscles to wipe it off.'

Find the author
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Goodreads

1 comment:

  1. Nice review. Educational huh?? I was laughing out loud with that "observation" haha.

    I like that you can laugh but also cry with this book, perfect. I love when that happens. And it also deals with real problems with a nice twist: Modeling. SO COOL!! I want to read it, badly!!

    And the cover, is perfect. I was sold just with the cover, is so....PINK!! With pink edges *sigh* (And I'm not even that girly or a pink lover but it is precious! LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...