8 Dec 2012

House at the end of the street - Review


Available now
www.atombooks.net 

What's it about?

Seeking a fresh start, newly divorced Sarah and her daughter Elissa find the house of their dreams in a small, upscale, rural town. But when startling and unexplainable events begin to happen, Sarah and Elissa learn the town is in the shadows of a chilling secret. Years earlier, in the house next door, a daughter killed her parents in their beds, and disappeared - leaving only a brother, Ryan, as the sole survivor. Against Sarah's wishes, Elissa begins a relationship with the reclusive Ryan - and the closer they get, the deeper they're all pulled into a mystery more dangerous than they ever imagined.
My review
I've never seen the movie so I thought I'd pick this up to see what its all about and I knew I wouldn't spend the whole time comparing the two either.
House at the end of the street was a quick, enjoyable read but you could tell that it was a book of a movie, mostly because of how short it is, while there is some good character development, there isn't much in the development of the relationship with Sarah and Ryan, the pacing is all different to a regular book.
But the story is interesting and creepy and I did enjoy it so I'd recommend if your looking for something quick to read.
It was written really well and easy to follow, I enjoyed Sarah as a main character, she was tough and she had a brain of her on, she didn't just go with the crowd.
The end was surprising and a real page turner and now that I've read the book, I'd love to see the movie to see if it all looks the same as in my head.

My thoughts on the cover
Of course the cover is the movie poster, that's why it has Jennifer Lawrence on it lol But I do like it, it has a creepy feel to it and I like the way she's kind of hidden behind the door.

Favourite quotes
'Elissa glanced back at the car, taking the guy's flannel shirt, the stack of books in the passenger seat, and the golden stubble on his chin, as if he hadn't shaved in two days. He looked so...normal. "You're Ryan Jacobson?" she asked.'

'He turned to her, resting his fingers gently on her chin. They were so cold they startled her. He tilted her head to one side, moving it just a fraction of an inch. She relaxed into it, enjoying how close he was to her, how gently he held her face.'

Find the author
Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...