17 Sept 2011

A beautiful dark review

A beautiful dark by Jocelyn Davies
Available September 27th 2011 (US)
October 20th 2011 (UK)

What's it about?
Skye never questioned the story of her life. Her Aunt Jo adopted her after the death of her parents when she was just a child, and together they flip through memories the way some people flip through photo albums.
She never questioned if the stories were true.
Until the night of her 17th birthday, when the arrival of two strangers intrudes on her cozy life. Polar opposites, like fire and ice, Asher is dark and wild, while Devin is fair, cold, and aloof. Skye has no idea what they want—only that their presence coincides with the beginning of some shockingly strange events. Events that Skye, if she dares to think it, might be responsible for causing.
High up in the mountains of Boulder, Colorado, Skye finds herself caught in the middle of an ancient battle, one that began untold millennia ago. Torn between unpredictable Asher, whom she loves, and the infuriating Devin, who she can’t stay away from, her fate is murky as a starless night. And as the secrets of her true identity are revealed, Skye realizes that her destiny may reside in the Heavens—or somewhere darker.

My review:
4/5
Whilst I liked this book, I didn't love it, I have to admit a lot of it felt like things I'd already seen before so whilst it was enjoyable I didn't find it addictive. Towards the end though the story did take on a more unique life of it's own and left us on a deadly cliffhanger that made me want the next book.
Our main character Skye is nice enough and stands up for herself and doesn't crumble under the pressure that is unfolding in her new life. I also really liked her best friend Cassie, I thought she was a lot of fun.
The guys were nice to, I haven't decided yet which team I'm on lol
I've used the word nice a lot because that is basically how I felt, the book was good but not memorable to me just because it has similarities to other books that I've read which makes it blend in.
It's written really well and flows quickly so it didn't take me long to read at all and I know I'll read the next one.

My thoughts on the cover:
Gorgeous!! There are so many cover trends lately and as far as I know this doesn't fit into any which makes it all the more unique. I love how the girl looks like she's flying and the dress makes her look a million miles tall. The background and font are simple so the girl really grabs your attention.

Favourite quotes:
If I kissed him right now, he'd taste like mint,I thought - and then immediately wished I hadn't. - Skye

Slowly I reached my hand out as well. He met me halfway. When our hands touched, a tiny wave of goosebumps trailed up my arm. I quickly pulled away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...