17 Sept 2011

Juliet Immortal review

Juliet immortal by Stacey Jay
Available now

What's it about?
"These violent delights have violent ends And in their triumph die, like fire and powder,
Which as they kiss consume."
—Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
The most tragic love story in history . . .

Juliet Capulet didn't take her own life. She was murdered by the person she trusted most, her new husband, Romeo Montague, a sacrifice made to ensure his own immortality. But what Romeo didn't anticipate was that Juliet would be granted eternity, as well, and would become an agent for the Ambassadors of Light. For 700 years, she's fought Romeo for the souls of true lovers, struggling to preserve romantic love and the lives of the innocent. Until the day she meets someone she's forbidden to love, and Romeo, oh Romeo, will do everything in his power to destroy that love.

My review:
5/5
When this one won the vote to be our next travelling book I admit I was a bit wary, I thought it was a big lovey dovey romance fest and I'm really not into romance books, lucky for me that wasn't the case. It does have romance and love is a big focus but the book also has so much more than that. It starts right away with an action scene and goes on from there, I really enjoyed every minute of it.
This book would've been great just as a book but with the twist on the story of Romeo and Juliet it really gives it something special and I think Stacey Jay did an excellent job.
I was with Juliet every minute as she fights between doing her job and what she wants, I felt her battling emotions and really wanted it to work out for her at the end because I really couldn't predict what would happen.
There were lots of good twists in the plot that kept things going and I found the reading easy going, I really enjoyed some of the more humorous references to the original play when Romeo was taunting Juliet and the more serious references.
Ben was another great character and Gemma to in her own way.
There are a lot of emotions flying around in the book from all the characters because they all have their own baggage and I think Stacey Jay also did a great job with this, it wasn't to intense but I could understand what everyone was going through.
So I'm happy to have been proven wrong about my intial impression of this book and am excited to find Ms Jay has quite the back catalogue for me to start working on!

My thoughts on the cover:
I do really like this cover, the girl sitting alone portrays Juliets feelings of loneliness in her immortality. The dress of course is pretty (aren't they always!) and I like the title font to, it has that classic feel.

Favourite quotes:

That horrible play. That contemptible lying play he helped Shakespeare pen all those hundreds of years ago when he first twisted our story to fit his agenda. - Juliet

"You do matter," he says, voice soft.
"You matter to me."


1 comment:

  1. I've seen other reviews of this book, but I think yours has finally pushed me over the fence and into TBR land. Adding it to my GR shelf now.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...