17 Sept 2011

Divergent review

Divergent by Veronica Roth
Available now
What's it about?
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

My review:
5/5
This book is truly deserving of it's 100% rating, I loved it so much! New author Veronica Roth quickly sets up the world without info dumping, I found it easy to understand the different factions and the weight of Tris' decisions.
Speaking of Tris, I loved her to, we watch her take a journey and grow up, I liked that she stood up for herself, she asked questions and she also used people's underestimation of her to her a favour but most of all I liked that she wasn't perfect and she wasn't selfless, she was honest and had an evil streak, she didn't want to understand her enemies or pity them she just wanted to see them burn!
I loved smouldering Four as well, I don't easily get big literary crushes but I had one on Four, he's strong, fearless and protective.
I could feel the sexual tension from the start and it didn't let up throughhout, I was dying for them to get together!
As for the story itself, it was fresh and different and had lots of twists that kept me excited and desperate to get to the end whilst not actually wanting it to end, if that makes sense.
There is a lot of action and the end just left me breathless with tears in my eyes, I cannot wait for Insurgent to find out what happens next!

My thoughts on the cover:
Well the first thing you notice about this cover is of course the big ball of fire, I was really curious about this and am glad  I know now what it stands for. It took me a while to even notice the two people in the bottom right corner! Although I should mention they aren't on the US cover. I like that they are away from the city in amongst the marshes, I think it represents well Tris and Four's indifference to the faction world they live in and the fact that they don't really fit, and it real life the cover is all shiny and glittering which earns it extra brownie points with me.

Favourite quotes:
I am brave. - Tris

I like that. Because there might come a day when there is no flashlight, there is no gun, there is no guiding hand. And I wan to be ready for it.  Tris


5 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about Four. I don't usually swoon over the book boys, but I couldn't help it with Four. :) Divergent was a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Misty!! Divergent was one of my favorite reads this year. Loved four.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that Tris and Four weren't automatically INSTA-LOVE! It definitely kept building up and I was so grateful to the author for that!

    I'm from Chicago so the world building aspect was really cool to me. She really did a great job of bringing the city to life!

    Loved this one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! It was a really complex relationship and it takes a good author to be able to write that. Also, I recently traveled to Chicago with my friends, and it was HILARIOUS to point to the buildings and say "It's where they took the Aptitude test!" It was just a generally good book.

      Delete
  4. I’d been wanting to read this book for a while, but for some reason it kept getting pushed back on my list of books to read. So after my reading and reviewing was done, I kind of blazed through the book. It was really good, and despite the fact that everyone seems keen on comparing it side-by-side to the widely popular and successful Hunger Games, I feel like it has plenty of intrigue on its own. They are both dystopian novels where people are divided into groups, but they also both have a test/survival element, then we see how corrupt the world actually is, and there are plans to overthrow it.

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...