30 Jul 2011

The girl of fire and thorns review

The girl of fire and thorns by Rae Carson
Releases 22nd September 2011 in the UK and
September 20th in the US

What's it about?
Once a century, one person is chosen for greatness.
Elisa is the chosen one.
But she is also the younger of two princesses, the one who has never done anything remarkable. She can’t see how she ever will.
Now, on her sixteenth birthday, she has become the secret wife of a handsome and worldly king—a king whose country is in turmoil. A king who needs the chosen one, not a failure of a princess.
And he’s not the only one who seeks her. Savage enemies seething with dark magic are hunting her. A daring, determined revolutionary thinks she could be his people’s savior. And he looks at her in a way that no man has ever looked at her before. Soon it is not just her life, but her very heart that is at stake.
Elisa could be everything to those who need her most. If the prophecy is fulfilled. If she finds the power deep within herself. If she doesn’t die young.
Most of the chosen do.

My review:
5/5
I must admit when I started this I confused for a bit by all the politics and religion of a foreign world, but once I got into it and got a sense of what was going on I was hooked!
This book is well written with an excellent plot that never dulls. I really enjoyed watching Elisa grow from a shy, unconfident girl who overeats for comfort to a strong, clever leader, and, to be frank, completely bad-ass!
She strikes up some great unlikely friendships that were enjoyable to read and I look forward to seeing them develop more in future books, there's one in particular I have my fingers crossed for lol
Carson has created a wonderful, diverse world and I found it easy to envision the different places Elisa travels to and the people she encounters along the way.
One of the things I loved about this book is that it wasn't predictable, the were some things I guessed would happen but there were also a bunch that I never which made for a really excitable read.
This is an excellent debut, I cannot wait to see what more Rae Carson has to offer.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...