19 Jul 2011

The power of six review


The power of six by Pittacus Lore.
Releases 23rd August 2011
This is the follow up to the brilliant I am number Four, if you haven't read that you can check out my review here.

What's it about?
We are the last defence.

I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened to John Smith. To the world he's a mystery, but to me ... he's one of us. Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us, if we all still believe in our mission.
There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another, but our Legacies are developing and soon we'll be ready to fight. Is John Number Four - and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who might be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia. Number Two in England. And Number Three in Kenya. They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio ... and failed. I am Number Seven. And I'm ready to fight.

My review:
5/5
If you like your books full of action then this is the book for you!
Unlike the first instalment this isn't just told by Johns perspective but also from Marina who is number 7 living in Spain, she balances the constant action from John, Six and Sam who are being hunted by both the Mogs and the police, with more calmer scenes as we get to know her, her situation and her abilities.
As things get more heated for marina the book switches between the two quicker and quicker to make for an explosive ending full of action and suspense.
I really enjoyed this book and the developing relationships between the characters and unlike other middle-of-series books that can just feel like a segue into the next one there's a lot of info on the main plot and some great twists.
I was really glad Sam wasn't left in paradise at the end of I am number four but instead went with John and Six so that he's in this book, I really felt for him and thought he added an extra dimension to the trio. He's an unlikely hero and I have high hopes for him in the future.
Six of course kicks ass and we get to know a little more about her. I have to say I was a little disappointed John doesn't discover any more of his abilities but he's still cool and this is a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things.
We gradually meet a lot of new characters in this addition as well, though not all at once so it's not confusing. I liked Marina a lot and felt her frustration at her situation.
I also liked the other characters we meet later, but I don't want to give anything away so I won't go into them lol.
This is a definite must read for fans of the first book or even for people who only kind of liked it, it'll leave you itching for the next book with it's big double cliffhanger ending!


                                      
                                      

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous. I want this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review Misty. Totally jealous right now but the release is just around the corner. :) Donna

    ReplyDelete

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...