18 Nov 2011

Audio Friday #4 - The Fox inheritance - Review

Audio (every other) Friday is where i post an audio review every fortnight switching between myself and Wanda, one of your fellow followers so that we post one review each a month.
This week it's my turn.
The Fox inheritance by Mary E. Pearson
Read by Matthew Brown
Available now

What's it about?
Once there were three. Three friends who loved each other: Jenna, Locke, and Kara. And after a terrible accident destroyed their bodies, their three minds were kept alive, spinning in a digital netherworld. Even in that disembodied nightmare, they were still together - at least at first. When Jenna disappeared, Locke and Kara had to go on without her. Decades passed, and then centuries. After 260 years, they have been released at last. Given new, perfect bodies, Locke and Kara awaken to a world they know nothing about, where everyone they once knew and loved is long dead. Everyone except Jenna Fox.

My review
4/5
On the narrator: I found Matthew Browns voice easy enough to listen to and could relax into the 'book' easily. I could mostly distinguish between the characters, only once or twice I got a bit confused but I think that may have been a lack of concentration on my part when I was distracted by my kids lol I'd definitely listen to something narrated by him again.
On the book: I did enjoy this book a lot, however it didn't have the same effect on me as the first one because it didn't have the same shock and thought provoking appeal. Though Locke and Kara are even more advanced than Jenna when they are bought back, I've still already seen it in the first book, I've already pondered where medical extremes can take us in the future. That being said, it was interesting to see how they'd come back, what effect being stuck in nothing for 260 years had on their psyche. I also really enjoyed the glimpse of a believable future and all the advancements we might have. However, if I'm totally honest, I could easily predict where the story was going and what happened at the end but I still enjoyed going through the journey with Locke as he struggles to come to terms with what he is now and trying to figure out where he fits in and also dealing with the grief that everyone he ever knew is gone... well almost.
Though the 'book' didn't have me on my toes or get my brain gears working as much as the first one it was an interesting, well written, tale about a boy.
I felt the author ended it really well so that I was satisfied yet at the same time I'll always wonder what happens in Locke's next chapter but not in a way that I'm frustrated, I'm happy to make it up for myself.
On the cover: I love this cover, it's so relevant to the story, though I loved it before I knew the story lol The jigsaw pieces really resemble how Locke starts off in this, trying to fit himself together, wondering where he fits in society. The blue colour is striking and the model does look how I'd imagine Locke.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...