26 Jan 2012

Juggernaut - Review

Outpost book 0.5
Available 16th February 2012

What's it about?
Iraq 2005 Seven mercenaries journey deep into the desert in search of Saddam's gold. They form an unlikely crew of battle-scarred privateers, killers and thieves, veterans of a dozen war zones, each of them anxious to make one last score before their luck runs out. They will soon find themselves marooned among ancient ruins, caught in a desperate battle for their lives, confronted by greed, betrayal, and an army that won't stay dead...

My review
Wow!... That's about the extent of my review because I don't know what other words I could use to justify how much I loved this book!
Readers of Outpost will already recognise Bakers signature writing style starting this book, if you haven't read Outpost, don't worry these can be read out of order, the author has a really unique way of writing that really adds an extra effect to his chilling novels.
Juggernaut is every bit as stomach clenching and nail bitingly scary as the first book and just left my head spinning at the end, I really had to collect myself before I could pick up another book.
I will admit however, for me it took a little getting in to, not because it's bad just because I know nothing about the military so all the lingo and the different weapons just went over my head, I even had to find out exactly what a Mercenary is because I wasn't sure, but yeah, that was my problem lol At the same time though, I'm glad there wasn't descriptions of all the weapons and what the guys were talking about because I think it would have slowed down the story and added a big chunk to the book, I figured it all out for myself as I went and as the story was set up and the book started flowing I was completely hooked.
As the pace speeded up I came closer to the edge of my seat, my stomach in knots as I awaited the conclusion, I could feel the desert heat sizzling off the page.
There's plenty of 'infected' action and some really great insight into how the infection came about, something I know I was dying to learn about after finishing Outpost and I know others were to, and it's good!...
I enjoyed all of the characters, we don't learn a whole lot of backstory about most of them but I enjoyed how they interacted with each other, you can tell that the core group have been friends a long time... although there are some great twists along the way! There was also a good mix of characters, good, bad and really bad that made a good dynamic to the book.
Adam Baker is quickly becoming one of my favourite authors and for those that don't know there is to be another book to follow in this series, which I'm pretty sure is set after Outpost and I cannot wait to get my hands on it and be back in this world that sends chills up my spine.

My thoughts on the cover
I love this cover, it fits in so well with the cover of the first book and is super creepy with those faces at the top, the orange is the perfect colour for the books setting in the desert, I love the guy in the fatigues and the people/monsters in the distance.

Favourite quotes
'It's a matter of will. Put a man in a fiercely hostile enviroment like the desert or leave him marooned in Artic wastes and you'll soon see what lies in his heart.' - Jabril.

'Lucy will have no choice. he will turn homicidal. She will have to kill him, or be killed.' - Jabril

Find the author: Website I Facebook I Twitter I Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, comment and tell me what you think of this post... I dare you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...